There’s nothing quite like that BBQ aroma that makes its way around the campsite early evening. It’s the perfect time to break traditional BBQ boundaries – if you’re by the coast try some locally caught fish or pick up delicious and fresh ingredients from local farmers markets. You might not have your normal kitchen equipment at hand, but with a little creativity cooking at the campsite can still be varied and delicious.
In this blog we will give you a few handy tips to make cooking at a campsite not only easier, but fun! We also share some delicious recipes and which accessories are must haves at the campsite!
5 Tips for making campsite cooking even easier
At the campsite, the lack of kitchen appliances – such as a hob and microwave – often has its charm, but of course it has its limits! With the tips below, cooking at the campsite can be just as easy as cooking at home:
- Place your BBQ in a cool spot in the shade
- Find a sheltered spot for cooking that is protected from the wind
- Bring a (small) cooler box to keep meats and vegetables cold
- A wok or paella pan for one-pan dishes is a must have!
- Where you can, pack pre-measured ingredients to save space, such as pancake mixes, salad dressings and herbs in small jam jars or plastic bottles.
More info | Paella Pan 40
More info | Essential Accessories
Our must-haves for al fresco cooking made easy are;
- Chef Pan – use it for virtually everything – bacon and eggs for breakfast, hot dogs for lunch and a delicious stir fry for dinner. Plus it means less washing up!
- Tapas Dishes – a must-have with any Cadac BBQ! Perfect for tomatoes, beans and pancakes plus warming sauces and creating tasty tapas.
- Spatulas with heat-resistant handles – sturdy and resistant to the heat from the BBQ
- Cutting board – non permeable to smell, it’s the ideal board to keep in your campsite kitchen for cutting fresh vegetables and meat
- Green Grill Brush – makes cleaning the ceramic coated cooking surfaces that bit easier!
ELECTRIC COOKING AT THE CAMPSITE
If you have access to an electric hook up at the campsite, why not choose an electric BBQ like the E Braai. Safe and easy to use, the barbecue has the advantage of pre-setting the temperature, along with the easy cleaning and modular surfaces benefits you come to expect with a Cadac BBQ.
More info | Electric barbecues
TASTY CAMPSITE RECIPES
Cooking on holiday shouldn’t become a chore. Keep your cooking times to a minimum to ensure you get maximum enjoyment from it. Here are three easy-to-make one-pan dishes that are ready in no time!
More info | CADAC BBQ recipes